OITAF IN BRIEF
OITAF is the International Organization for Transportation by Rope (Organizzazione Internationale Trasporti a Fune). It was established in Milan (I) in 1959 with the aim of uniting the three categories of actors relevant for the ropeway sector, i.e.
- ropeway operators or companies,
- manufacturers of ropeway systems, and
- supervisory authorities (representing governments and passengers),
in order to jointly solve problems as they arise.
OITAF has the following objectives:
- Promoting the development and improvement of the ropeway sector as well as studies and experiments supporting the development and improvement of the ropeway sector;
- Promoting the harmonization of national legislation in the field of ropeway transportation;
- Preparing uniform international guidelines for the design, construction, operation, maintenance and control of ropeways as well as developing related recommendations;
- Organizing international ropeway congresses every 6 years;
- Organizing seminars annually.
OITAF is open to all authorities, federations, institutions, enterprises and individuals who deal with technical, legal, administrative or economic aspects of ropeways, including ski tows. The organization is open to collective and individual members. At present, O.I.T.A.F. has 145 members from 30 countries from all over the world.